Friday, March 15, 2013

Mike's FB Moment of "deja whoa"

I feel the need to copy Mike's Posts on Facebook because he seems to delete them entirely after a few hours.  Part of his mystery, or dedication to inaccessibility (not sure which).

I like that he is seized by a moment of primal recognition, returning to a set he had first visited on his first day of shooting for the Monkees.  First impressions, first emotions.  Primal for most of the rest of us as well, but our memories connect with our own unique series of sensations and histories.

Here's his:

"Years ago my first day of shooting was at the Columbia Ranch. Now it is just called the Ranch but I think it is part of Warner Bros. It is a large installation at the corner of Hollywood Way and Oak out in Burbank --the valley -- in California.

I went down to LA on Tuesday to shoot the Kroll Show and Wednesday morning I got up early and drove out of the hotel but had to pull over in order to get my nav set up to get me to the studio.

After I stopped I looked up and realized I was sitting at the entrance to the Ranch. 

It wasn't exactly deja vu -- more like deja whoa -- and it made me laugh. As I sat in the car alone I had all the same emotions overtake me that ran through my head on the first day of shooting back in 1966. Not exactly D Day levels of tension -- but it took hold on much the same terms.

I drove over to cast and crew parking where I got in the van to go to the location. I was the only one in the van besides the driver who said not a word.

It was like getting on the school bus the first day of school -- or a first date -- any of those firsts where you don't know exactly what to do, don't really know anyone, or which way to turn. As a recurrence it was bittersweet -- I had been here before -- but I was surprised at how eternal the moment was -- timeless and real.

The show was fun to shoot. I love collaboration with a creative team. Nick was warm and hospitable and fun to work with --Levy, my friend was solicitous and attentive and helpful -- and the sketch was pretty funny.

We won't know till Krisel gets it edited -- but I'll bet it will come out fine. Krisel -- the director -- knows his stuff.

By the end of the day I was back in the saddle and confident and comfortable and happily rocking back and forth on my feet waiting for the school bus to take me home.

Turns out the next school bus is a tour bus. It shows up for me Thursday in Nashville.

Life as a 6 year old -- all over again."


Posted on Facebook, Friday, 3/15/13, 11:21am.

==

And also, a fan commented, "This is similar to the way you make your fans feel".  Another added a link to the actual Columbia Ranch set.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Beatles FB Facebook Nez 2013 Tour Convention 2014 Head Concerts Elvis Presley Henry Diltz Naked Persimmon Papa Nez Peter Tork RayBert 47 Carole King Jazz Singer John Lennon Nez Fall Tour 2013 Andrew Sandoval Batman Boyce and Hart Brecht Britton Payne Chip Douglas Danny Kaye Danny Thomas Don Kirshner Eric Lefcowitz Here We Come Kingston Trio Leonard Cohen Linda Ronstadt Mike Morrison Hotel NYC Phil Spector SSB Shoe Suede Blues Wrecking Crew 17 4th Wall 57 Animals BBS Bob Dylan Bob Newhart Bob Rafelson Bobby Darin Burgess Meredith Burl Ives Butch Patrick Byrds Carl Perkins Costumes Dale Daydream Believer Easy Rider Ed Sullivan Fanfic First National Band Frank Zappa George Harrison German Gerry Goffin Graham Nash Howard Kaylan Indigo Girls Jack Nicholson Jann Wenner Jimi Hendrix Joni Mitchell Julie Newmar Karaoke Modern Folk Quartet Monty Landis Pete Seeger Phil Ochs Richard Mikuls Rolling Stones Springsteen Steve Blauner That Girl Theater Van Johnson Vietnam Zombies 56 Allen Ginsburg American History Beach Boys Bellydancing Ben Stiller Benny Goodman Bette Nesmith Graham Beyonce Bicorne hat Bieber Bill Haley Billboard Carpenters Circus Boy Crosby Stills Nash and Young Crystals Cynthia Plaster Caster Cyrus Faryar Deana Martin Donna Loren Donna Summer Doppleganger Doris Day Elvis Costello Fan Sites Gaffs Get Smart Gilligan's Island Ginger Rogers Glee Grateful Dead Grease Groupie Guilty Pleasures Harry Nilsson Headquarters I Dream of Jeannie James Dean Janis Ian Jeanne Tripplehorne Jerome Kern Jerry Lewis Jerry Seinfeld Jim Frawley Jim Morrison John Sebastian Judy Garland Laurel Canyon Louie Jordan Lovin Spoonful Madonna Marx Brothers Mel Brooks Micky Braddock Miles Davis Mumford &Sons New Monkees Pamela Des Barres Peter Paul and Mary Petula Clark Phil Donahue Playboy Pollution Protest Psycho Jello Quarrymen Questions Rachel Maddow Radio Ranch Ray Manzarek Real Rock and Roll Band Red Rhodes Rose Marie Stephen Colbert The Producers Twillight Zone Valerie Kairys Venet Van Morrison Vaudeville WFUV WLVI WMBR Who