Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Songs vs Bombs at the Boston Marathon


Dear Readers,

I had sent something to Andrew Sandoval (author of Monkees, Day By Day) a few months ago, when I started the blog. He was very encouraging.  Plus, he is also co-producing Peter's show, "In This Generation".

Anyway, I had a vision/idea/aural fantasy about an alternate performance of "For Pete's Sake" and wanted to put it out into the world.  I don't know if he would even consider doing it this way in his solo tour.  But I'd love to get an audience together to sing it TO him.

I put it all in a letter to Andrew Sandoval.  And then decided to post it here.

WHATEVER YOU DO, SING!!


Dear Andrew Sandoval,

Yesterday, I was on the subway in NYC, and an arrangement for "For Pete's Sake" came into my head and I couldn't stop singing it to myself.  I don't know why, I haven't heard it recently, but it stayed with me and wouldn't let me go.  When I got off, I realized it was exactly when the bombings in Boston were happening (I grew up there and knew a LOT of people who were there and nearby).

But I heard it as a CANON, sung acapella and adagio by a chorus of mostly women's voices. 

The lead singer (could be Peter, but not necessarily) should divide the audience into 2 sections and begin:

Leader:
Love is understanding
Don't you know that this is true.
Love is understanding.
It's in Everything we do.

===

Cues Group A:
Love is Understanding . . .

Leader continues:
In this generation
In this lovin time
In this generation
We will make the world shine

==

Leader begins again and cues Group B to join:
Love is understanding . . .

Group A continues:
In this generation . . .

==

Cues Group A:
Love is Understanding . . .

Leader continues:
In this generation . . .

==

Leader and both Groups together:

We were born to Love one another
This is something we all need
We were born to Love one another
We must be what we're goin to be
And what we have to be is free.

Group A begins singing from the beginning on the second "Love"
Love is understanding . . .

Leader and Group B continue and sing another round.

======

Anyway, that's the idea.  I don't know how all this stuff works, intellectual-property-wise, or if Peter is even open to reading this sort of stuff from a random fan/blogger/groupie.  He knows me by name and is probably sick of me.

Take this as a gift, do what you will with it.  (Or not, sharing this vision of it is something I had to do)

If nothing else, it means a lot to ME that I was singing a song of peace exactly at the time the bombings happened.  And Peter's probably heard it a million times, but that song is still alive and relevant and important.

I'll be at the NYC shows.  Keep singing and listening and bringing music to people!!  You are doing GOOD, GOOD work for this world!

Yours very sincerely,

Tammy Rose



No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Beatles FB Facebook Nez 2013 Tour Convention 2014 Head Concerts Elvis Presley Henry Diltz Naked Persimmon Papa Nez Peter Tork RayBert 47 Carole King Jazz Singer John Lennon Nez Fall Tour 2013 Andrew Sandoval Batman Boyce and Hart Brecht Britton Payne Chip Douglas Danny Kaye Danny Thomas Don Kirshner Eric Lefcowitz Here We Come Kingston Trio Leonard Cohen Linda Ronstadt Mike Morrison Hotel NYC Phil Spector SSB Shoe Suede Blues Wrecking Crew 17 4th Wall 57 Animals BBS Bob Dylan Bob Newhart Bob Rafelson Bobby Darin Burgess Meredith Burl Ives Butch Patrick Byrds Carl Perkins Costumes Dale Daydream Believer Easy Rider Ed Sullivan Fanfic First National Band Frank Zappa George Harrison German Gerry Goffin Graham Nash Howard Kaylan Indigo Girls Jack Nicholson Jann Wenner Jimi Hendrix Joni Mitchell Julie Newmar Karaoke Modern Folk Quartet Monty Landis Pete Seeger Phil Ochs Richard Mikuls Rolling Stones Springsteen Steve Blauner That Girl Theater Van Johnson Vietnam Zombies 56 Allen Ginsburg American History Beach Boys Bellydancing Ben Stiller Benny Goodman Bette Nesmith Graham Beyonce Bicorne hat Bieber Bill Haley Billboard Carpenters Circus Boy Crosby Stills Nash and Young Crystals Cynthia Plaster Caster Cyrus Faryar Deana Martin Donna Loren Donna Summer Doppleganger Doris Day Elvis Costello Fan Sites Gaffs Get Smart Gilligan's Island Ginger Rogers Glee Grateful Dead Grease Groupie Guilty Pleasures Harry Nilsson Headquarters I Dream of Jeannie James Dean Janis Ian Jeanne Tripplehorne Jerome Kern Jerry Lewis Jerry Seinfeld Jim Frawley Jim Morrison John Sebastian Judy Garland Laurel Canyon Louie Jordan Lovin Spoonful Madonna Marx Brothers Mel Brooks Micky Braddock Miles Davis Mumford &Sons New Monkees Pamela Des Barres Peter Paul and Mary Petula Clark Phil Donahue Playboy Pollution Protest Psycho Jello Quarrymen Questions Rachel Maddow Radio Ranch Ray Manzarek Real Rock and Roll Band Red Rhodes Rose Marie Stephen Colbert The Producers Twillight Zone Valerie Kairys Venet Van Morrison Vaudeville WFUV WLVI WMBR Who