Monday, July 29, 2013

Applause Factor

A FB post from Nez on the road.  I agree with him, and even though I have decades to go, I'm trying to build my life with investments that will pay off exponentially the older I get.  Glad to hear him appreciating all that's coming his way.

Notes from the road -- summer 2013 Monkees tour

Austin 

A friend of mine out here told me a story I found interesting so I thought I would pass it on.

A famous composer and wife -- along in years -- recently applied for life insurance for him. They expected it would be expensive given his age.

The agent asked what he was doing these days and the composer shyly dodged the question, but she spoke up and said they were traveling quite a bit. They were going from city to city by invitation to attend performances of his works and accolades from his fans.

The agent hardly skipped a beat and said "Oh, then we can add ten years to his life expectancy. We call it the "applause" factor".

It made sense to me. Applause is appreciation and appreciation is increase. I think it is one of the reasons gratitude is such a powerful and happy state of mind.

I've certainly been getting my share on this tour. The crowds have been fantastic -- singing along and shouting and clapping. They seem to be having the best time. I see huge smiles everywhere we are playing -- young and old. I'm trying to give back as much as I get but its hard. I don't think I have ever been on the receiving end of so much joy. Appreciation, indeed.

It makes me very happy, too -- and it makes me feel good -- physically feel good. Sometimes I find myself spontaneously laughing with delight in the middle of a song. I look out at the crowds and they are beautiful. I tell them so -- but the comment pales in comparison to what they give to us.

It is a nice touch.

We are in Austin starting the Texas leg of the tour. Lots of friends here and lots to look forward too.

Austin is also the "hump" for us --- the point in the tour when there are fewer dates before you than there are behind you -- the halfway point.

We will celebrate with Aaron Franklin's barbecue and a friendly hang at the Hotel tomorrow -- a traditional "over the hump" road party. Just the band and crew and a few friends.

Another nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Beatles FB Facebook Nez 2013 Tour Convention 2014 Head Concerts Elvis Presley Henry Diltz Naked Persimmon Papa Nez Peter Tork RayBert 47 Carole King Jazz Singer John Lennon Nez Fall Tour 2013 Andrew Sandoval Batman Boyce and Hart Brecht Britton Payne Chip Douglas Danny Kaye Danny Thomas Don Kirshner Eric Lefcowitz Here We Come Kingston Trio Leonard Cohen Linda Ronstadt Mike Morrison Hotel NYC Phil Spector SSB Shoe Suede Blues Wrecking Crew 17 4th Wall 57 Animals BBS Bob Dylan Bob Newhart Bob Rafelson Bobby Darin Burgess Meredith Burl Ives Butch Patrick Byrds Carl Perkins Costumes Dale Daydream Believer Easy Rider Ed Sullivan Fanfic First National Band Frank Zappa George Harrison German Gerry Goffin Graham Nash Howard Kaylan Indigo Girls Jack Nicholson Jann Wenner Jimi Hendrix Joni Mitchell Julie Newmar Karaoke Modern Folk Quartet Monty Landis Pete Seeger Phil Ochs Richard Mikuls Rolling Stones Springsteen Steve Blauner That Girl Theater Van Johnson Vietnam Zombies 56 Allen Ginsburg American History Beach Boys Bellydancing Ben Stiller Benny Goodman Bette Nesmith Graham Beyonce Bicorne hat Bieber Bill Haley Billboard Carpenters Circus Boy Crosby Stills Nash and Young Crystals Cynthia Plaster Caster Cyrus Faryar Deana Martin Donna Loren Donna Summer Doppleganger Doris Day Elvis Costello Fan Sites Gaffs Get Smart Gilligan's Island Ginger Rogers Glee Grateful Dead Grease Groupie Guilty Pleasures Harry Nilsson Headquarters I Dream of Jeannie James Dean Janis Ian Jeanne Tripplehorne Jerome Kern Jerry Lewis Jerry Seinfeld Jim Frawley Jim Morrison John Sebastian Judy Garland Laurel Canyon Louie Jordan Lovin Spoonful Madonna Marx Brothers Mel Brooks Micky Braddock Miles Davis Mumford &Sons New Monkees Pamela Des Barres Peter Paul and Mary Petula Clark Phil Donahue Playboy Pollution Protest Psycho Jello Quarrymen Questions Rachel Maddow Radio Ranch Ray Manzarek Real Rock and Roll Band Red Rhodes Rose Marie Stephen Colbert The Producers Twillight Zone Valerie Kairys Venet Van Morrison Vaudeville WFUV WLVI WMBR Who