Monday, July 15, 2013

The Hampton Stop on Mike's Tour Tunnel

Personally, I love the way he takes funny little moments and focuses on them.  Being famous and semi-unrecognizable.  Sitting by a mirror and getting caught by the onlooker-"non-girlfriends" who flirt with him.  Beyond the idea of sexuality/fame/"meetings that are a touch strange".

Very eloquent in his own way, letting you know why he'd be wearing shades.  His head seems to be the most interesting at the moment. Peter and Micky seem content to just show up.  Mike's still thinking and out-putting.

To quote his latest FB post: (dated 7/15/13, probably noon Eastern Time, a few hours before their first stop in Port Chester, NY, the first of their 2013 Summer tour dates)

Notes from the Road – Monkees Summer 2013

I’m starting to feel like I live on a different part of the planet. This is not a nation state I’m talking about – it is actually not even a space – it is more like a space of states – like thay have over in the Quantum garage.

The constant traveling creates one long tunnel – and I am familiar with that now – but it also creates an insular community at its center with access now and then to little stops along the way to get out and explore the land and the people.

Latest for me was the Hamptons – up to visit a new friend with some time off – and we went to the Candy Kitchen for a meal. I little local’s place with pretty good breakfast and lunch. It looked like a real soda fountain but I didn’t try it.

We took a seat at the back of the restaurant where we could watch the people making a long walk from the front entrance past our booth to their tables. Pretty people, ordinarily pretty if you catch my drift. All shiny and all making eye contact.

When the lovely young girls came by and smiled coyly I got a little self-conscious but always returned the smile. I was surprised how unabashed they were – they would walk the whole concourse from the front door to the back room beyond our booth and never lose eye contact, and almost all were showing off – even posing a bit -- but, like I say mostly coy.

A group of particularly beautiful young women came in and all of them were staring, looking directly at me and turning this way and that showing off their best features. I was surprised at their recognition of me. I haven’t been recognized out of context in years. I am usually just another old guy about his business, having dinner or breakfast. The best I usually get is the Starbuck’s shout-out to no-one or the captured cashier at the grocery store and supermarkets wondering how I am.

I figured the recent Monkee concerts must be building the awareness and so I was happy to greet everyone as they came by with a smile and a nod, although the exchange was a touch strange. It didn’t matter. I was swept away by the open friendliness and the acknowledgement.

It took about thirty minutes of this until I realized I was sitting in a booth that was in front of, and just below, a huge mirror. I was invisible down in the booth – but the customers could all see themselves in the mirror as they walked by staring, primping, smiling -- making eye contact.

My friends and I laughed when I finally pointed it out and explained why I had been distracted for the last half hour.

My friends were not members of the Roadspace nation – they were landed gentry who lived among the locals – and they had a good laugh -- but not the same laugh I did,

I knew what this was. The beginning of the “twist” from here to there and finally to everywhere on the road, where all realities obviously intersect at the ego and pushes buzzers never felt before.

I had dozens of new non-girlfriends at the Candy Kitchen – quantum state girlfriends.

I am going to have to wear special glasses on this Monkees tour to make sure to stay out of the gentle traps – I can see that.

Port Chester NY tonight -- with a new video wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Beatles FB Facebook Nez 2013 Tour Convention 2014 Head Concerts Elvis Presley Henry Diltz Naked Persimmon Papa Nez Peter Tork RayBert 47 Carole King Jazz Singer John Lennon Nez Fall Tour 2013 Andrew Sandoval Batman Boyce and Hart Brecht Britton Payne Chip Douglas Danny Kaye Danny Thomas Don Kirshner Eric Lefcowitz Here We Come Kingston Trio Leonard Cohen Linda Ronstadt Mike Morrison Hotel NYC Phil Spector SSB Shoe Suede Blues Wrecking Crew 17 4th Wall 57 Animals BBS Bob Dylan Bob Newhart Bob Rafelson Bobby Darin Burgess Meredith Burl Ives Butch Patrick Byrds Carl Perkins Costumes Dale Daydream Believer Easy Rider Ed Sullivan Fanfic First National Band Frank Zappa George Harrison German Gerry Goffin Graham Nash Howard Kaylan Indigo Girls Jack Nicholson Jann Wenner Jimi Hendrix Joni Mitchell Julie Newmar Karaoke Modern Folk Quartet Monty Landis Pete Seeger Phil Ochs Richard Mikuls Rolling Stones Springsteen Steve Blauner That Girl Theater Van Johnson Vietnam Zombies 56 Allen Ginsburg American History Beach Boys Bellydancing Ben Stiller Benny Goodman Bette Nesmith Graham Beyonce Bicorne hat Bieber Bill Haley Billboard Carpenters Circus Boy Crosby Stills Nash and Young Crystals Cynthia Plaster Caster Cyrus Faryar Deana Martin Donna Loren Donna Summer Doppleganger Doris Day Elvis Costello Fan Sites Gaffs Get Smart Gilligan's Island Ginger Rogers Glee Grateful Dead Grease Groupie Guilty Pleasures Harry Nilsson Headquarters I Dream of Jeannie James Dean Janis Ian Jeanne Tripplehorne Jerome Kern Jerry Lewis Jerry Seinfeld Jim Frawley Jim Morrison John Sebastian Judy Garland Laurel Canyon Louie Jordan Lovin Spoonful Madonna Marx Brothers Mel Brooks Micky Braddock Miles Davis Mumford &Sons New Monkees Pamela Des Barres Peter Paul and Mary Petula Clark Phil Donahue Playboy Pollution Protest Psycho Jello Quarrymen Questions Rachel Maddow Radio Ranch Ray Manzarek Real Rock and Roll Band Red Rhodes Rose Marie Stephen Colbert The Producers Twillight Zone Valerie Kairys Venet Van Morrison Vaudeville WFUV WLVI WMBR Who